StoriesBack to Stories
YES Appreciation Day Arts Contest
Annually on October 15, we celebrate the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) program; the YES/YES Abroad students and alumni; the host families, communities, and schools; the program funder, the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs; the recruiting organizations; and the placement organizations that make the YES program possible.
This year, we’re celebrating YES Appreciation Day with an arts contest! Submissions should artistically address the prompt, “What Does YES Mean to You?” Winners will be selected from the following categories and will have their work highlighted on YES Abroad program social media.
- Performance: song, dance, skit, standup comedy, poetry recitation, or other performance
- Visual arts: painting, drawing, graphic design, crafts, etc.
Submit your contest entry: https://ais.americancouncils.org/yesalumni
Deadline: October 1, 2021
- Submissions must artistically address the prompt, “What Does YES Mean to You?”
- Submissions made by the following YES stakeholders will be considered: YES/YES Abroad students, YES/YES Abroad alumni, host parents (past or current), host community members (friends, school officials, neighbors, etc.), and local coordinators.
- Individual or team submissions welcome.
- You may submit multiple entries for different artistic creations, but you can only win in one category.
- The submission must be your original work or an original work for which you were a main contributor in its creation (if part of a team). For example, if you have a great photo from your YES Abroad year, but you were not the photographer, you may not submit the photo for the contest.
- You must have the written consent of any individual featured in a photo or video submission.
- Videos may not exceed five minutes in length.
- Submissions may not contain any copyrighted material.
- Don’t forget that the YES Appreciation Day hashtag is #ThankYouYES.
Winning submissions will be selected by a panel of YES Abroad staff and/or colleagues from the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Selection will be based on:
1) How well the submission addresses the prompt: What Does YES Mean to You?
2) To what degree the submission highlights the goals and mission of the YES Abroad program
3) Artistic quality and creativity
Submit your contest entry: https://ais.americancouncils.org/yesalumni Deadline: October 1, 2021
Questions? Email [email protected]